Sunday, October 13, 2024

Coming and going 오가며

Autumn has arrived, bringing a dramatic drop in temperatures as the seasons shift. Early in the morning when I go out to jog, I can feel a chill in the air. As I run in during the dawn and look up, shining stars are passing by.

As the autumn leaves constantly fall, we, too, shall pass away someday. We are walking step by step toward our last breath. In autumn, it is inspiring to reflect on passing away. We enjoy living every moment to the fullest, but we will have to let everything go one day.

Salvatore Joseph (Sam) Vitale, one of the board members of the local community of the Daughters of St. Paul in Saint Louis, often dropped by our Pauline Media Center to share his love and friendship with us. Whenever he came to our center, he used to ask us how to pray the liturgy of hours, how to find the alternate reading for the feast of certain saints, or which book would be good for his grandchildren.

The last time when he visited our center with his wife, Mary Anne, he wanted to have a copy of the updated “Pauline Daily Missal." She was happy to present the book as his birthday gift. Having a new prayer book might have given him a new spirit to sustain his life.

Sam has been very friendly and attentive to our needs. Even though he was struggling with cancer for the past year, he tried to share something with us. One day, he brought a bucket of large meatballs with tomato sauce that he made. The meatballs were almost five times bigger than the usual. Every Sunday, he enjoyed cooking for his family.

Recently, I wanted to contact him to inform him of my transference. However, understanding his serious condition, I just left a message with his wife. Then, I heard that he was actively dying to enter heaven. That day, our community went to pray the rosary in front of his grotto in the backyard of his house. Some of his friends and family arrived there already to pray together. That very night at 10 p.m., he passed away at the age of 72 (1952-2024).

So, we come and go. We move forward and backward like the waves in the ocean. Everything has a time. Time to live, time to die. Time to come, time to go. Time to work, time to rest. Time to pray, time to laugh. Now, it is time for me to leave what I like and enjoy with composure and gratitude.

Recently, I noticed that many things have become worn out: my socks, underwear, handkerchiefs, sandals, sneakers and eye drops. One day when I looked at myself in the mirror, I observed more wrinkles appearing around my cheeks. I am taking care of myself well, but I can’t beat the ravages of time.

I have also experienced the most challenging vertical limits in various signs of my life. Throughout the year, I have discerned the will of God for me.

As I leave the United States, I reflect on what I have learned from living in this blessed country. The most impressive thing I learned is the people’s strong sense of sharing and donation. The second thing I learned is their sense of freedom with responsibility, composure, the flexibility with less formalism.

“God loves a cheerful giver!” (2 Corinthians 9:7)

*https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2024/10/162_383929.html

*The Korea Times / Thoughts of the Times / October 13 (online), 14 (offline) 2024

오가며 Coming and going

가을이 왔다. 계절이 바뀌면서 기온차가 심하여 이른 아침 조깅하러 나가면 싸늘하기만 하다. 새벽에 달리며 하늘을 바라보면 별들이 반짝이며 지나간다.

낙엽이 우수수 떨어지듯 우리도 언젠가는 이 세상을 떠나리라. 우리는 마지막 숨을 향해 한 걸음 한 걸음 나아간다. 가을은 우리 모두 언젠가 떠나리라는 것을 반추하게 한다. 우리는 저마다 순간순간 맘껏 음미하며 살아가지만 언젠가는 모든 것을 내려놓아야 한다.

세인트루이스에 있는 바오로딸 분원 공동체 이사회 멤버인 살바토레 요셉 (샘) 비탈레는 이따금 바오로딸 미디어 센터에 들러 사랑과 우정을 나누었다. 샘은 센터에 올 때마다 성무일도로 어떻게 기도해야 하는지, 특정 성인 축일 독서를 어떻게 찾는지, 손주들에게 어떤 책이 좋은지 물었다.

아내 메리 앤과 함께 센터를 마지막으로 방문했을 때 샘은 개정판 "바오로딸 매일 미사 경본"을 갖기를 바랐다. 그의 아내는 새 미사 경본을 그의 생일 선물로 주며 행복해했다. 새 기도 책은 분명 그에게 삶을 지탱할 수 있는 새 기운을 불어넣어 주었으리라.

샘은 무척 친절하여 우리가 필요로 하는 것들에 주의를 기울였다. 지난 1년 동안 암과 싸우면서도 우리와 함께 무언가를 나누려고 했다. 어느 날, 그는 토마토 소스를 곁들여 손수 만든 커다란 미트볼이 가득 담긴 양동이를 가져왔다. 미트볼은 평소보다 거의 5배나 컸다. 샘은 일요일마다 가족을 위해 요리하는 것을 좋아했다.

최근 들어 나는 샘에게 내 소임 이동에 대해 알리고 싶었지만 위중한 상태인 것 같아 그의 아내에게 메시지를 남겼다. 그런데 그가 하늘나라로 가기 위해 임종을 준비하고 있다는 소식을 들었다. 그날 우리 공동체는 그의 집 뒷마당에 있는 성모동굴 앞에서 묵주 기도를 하러 갔다. 그의 몇몇 친구와 가족이 함께 기도하기 위해 모여 있었다. 바로 그날 밤 10시. 샘은 72세의 나이로 선종했다(1952-2024).

우리는 누구나 오고 간다. 파도처럼 앞뒤로 출렁이며 나아간다. 모든 것에는 때가 있다. 살 때와 죽을 때. 올 때와 갈 때. 일할 때와 쉴 때. 기도할 때와 웃을 때. 이제 나는 여유롭고 감사로운 마음으로 내가 좋아하며 즐기는 것들을 떠나야 한다.

최근에 나는 양말, 속옷, 손수건, 샌들, 운동화, 눈약 등 많은 것이 낡아지고 있음을 보았다. 어느 날 거울을 들여다보니 얼굴에는 주름이 더 많이 생겼다. 나는 자신을 잘 돌보는 편이지만 시간의 흐름은 어쩔 수 없다.

나는 또한 내 삶의 여러 표징 가운데 드높은 암벽 등반과 같은 자신의 한계를 체험하면서 일년 내내 나에게 하느님 뜻이 무엇인지 식별해왔다.

미국을 떠나면서 나는 이 축복받은 나라에 살면서 배운 것들을 되새긴다. 내가 배운 것 가운데 가장 감동적인 것은 나눔과 기부에 대한 사람들의 강한 의식이다. 둘째로 배운 것은 책임감을 지닌 자유 의식, 여유로움, 덜 형식적인 유연성이다.

"하느님께서는 기쁘게 주는 이를 사랑하십니다!"(2코린 9,7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming and going 오가며

Autumn has arrived, bringing a dramatic drop in temperatures as the seasons shift. Early in the morning when I go out to jog, I can feel a...